[smart_track_player url=”http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/pixelcorps.cachefly.net/twip/twip_453_aud.mp3″ color=”6a1915″ title=”Hot New dSLRs” artist=”TWiP 453″ ]
TWiP Episode 453 – Hot New DSLRs!
If you’ve been listening to TWIP over the years you probably know how we feel about the relatively slow pace of innovation in the “mirrored” camera space… also known as the dSLR.
To reiterate, I personally LOVE Canon and Nikon, and I still own a bunch of Nikon gear, including many lenses and strobes. But now I primarily shoot Panasonic Lumix gear. Part of the reasoning is that the innovations and tools mirrorless technology gives me, “fits” better with the kind of media creation (stills, video, etc) that I enjoy.
Enter Pentax — a company that Ricoh acquired back in 2011 for $124 million dollars, has announced a brand new dSLR, with many features not found on any “mainstream” camera (mirrored, or mirrorless!).
Also Canon has refreshed its dSLR line-up with the 80D, as well as new glass and some accessories squarely aimed at video creation.
In this episode, Shiv Verma and Tim Engle join me to discuss these latest entrants into the DSLR space. Shiv shoots Lumix mirrorless, and Tim shoots Nikon DSLR. Their contrasting (and occasionally synchronous) opinions on the topic are very thought provoking.
Before we get started, we also wanted to let you know that Frederick is excited to be speaking at the Out of Chicago conference June 24-26. For a limited time, they’re knocking $100 off the registration price if you use the code “twipchicago” when you sign up. Just head over to TWiP.Pro/OOC to see all the details. See you in the windy city!
Links Mentioned in This Episode
- The Pentax K-1 has features not found in any other full-frame dSLR
- Canon announces the 80D, a new lens, & new accessories
- Shiv’s upcoming workshops: Smoky Mountain Workshop in April, Iceland in September,
- Shiv Verma’s workshop and photo tours
- Sacramento Fashion Week
- Yucatán Workshop
Picks of the Week
- Shiv: Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm F4-6.3 lens
- Tim: Manfrotto 175F-1 Spring Clamp with Flash Shoe
TWiP 453 is brought to you by:
Freshbooks – the simple cloud accounting solution that’s helping thousands of new entrepreneurs and small business owners save time billing, and get paid faster. Sign up for free today at FreshBooks.com and join over 5 million users running their business with ease.
Out of Chicago
Frederick is excited to be speaking at the Out of Chicago conference June 24-26. For a limited time, they’re knocking $100 off the registration price if you use the code “twipchicago” when you sign up. Just head over to TWiP.Pro/OOC to see all the details. See you in the windy city!
Connect with Our Hosts & Guests
- Shiv Verma: Website, Twitter, Google+
- Tim Engle: Website, Twitter, Instagram, Google+
- Frederick Van Johnson: Website, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Pinterest
- Pre-production by: Bruce Clarke
- Post production by: Suzanne Llewellyn & Vince Bauer
- Bandwidth provided by: Cachefly
[totaldonations-text-fields campaign=”TWiP” button=”yes” button_text=”Support TWiP!”]