TWiP 446 – France Bans Skinny
Typically, when you think of that stereotypical glamorous fashion shoot, your mind conjures up visions of glitzy sets, demanding photographers, talented makeup artists, lots of minions running around, and of course beautiful (and sometimes skinny) models.
Well, that vision is changing in France. The country is passing legislation that would effectively “ban” skinny models from photoshoots. France is defining “skinny” as models with a body mass index (BMI) of 18 or less. Models that fall into that category must present a doctor's note stating they are in good general health.
Breaking this law could mean steep fines for agencies and photographers — of up to $82,000 US, and up to 6 months in prison.
In this episode, we discuss this new law and its enforceability and implementation. As well as the persistent “skinny model” controversy.
Links Mentioned in This Episode
- France bans too thin fashion models
- DJI Opens Flagship store in Shenzhen
- Photographer’s close shave in Dubai hotel fire
- Cinemagraph Pro by Flixel
- Aaron Nace's Cinemagraph tutorial
- Experience 4K Post Focus in Panasonic LUMIX Cameras – Presented by LUMIX Luminary Photo Joseph
- 4K Focus Stacking with Panasonic LUMIX Cameras – Presented by LUMIX Luminary Photo Joseph
Picks of the Week
- Dave: Sony 18-105mm lens with power zoom for filming with the a7rii
- Joseph: iPad Pro & New Apple Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader — USB 3 Speeds on iPad Pro
- Frederick: Speaking at the Out of Chicago Conference in June
TWiP 446 is brought to you by:
Freshbooks – the simple cloud accounting solution that’s helping thousands of new entrepreneurs and small business owners save time billing, and get paid faster. Sign up for free today at FreshBooks.com and join over 5 million users running their business with ease.
Connect with Our Hosts & Guests
- Dave Dugdale: Website, Twitter, Google+
- Joseph Linaschke: Website, Twitter, Google+
- Frederick Van Johnson: Website, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Pinterest