With Craig Colvin & Frederick Van Johnson
May 1st thru 3rd, 2015 (Friday thru Sunday)
Various locations in Joshua Tree National Park
Multiple models (signed model releases included)
$2,995.00 per person
- Fee includes all meals, accommodations, and intra-park travel
Join us for a 3-day, 2-night all inclusive workshop discovering the natural beauty of Joshua Tree National Park, combined with the beauty of the female form — au naturel.
In this workshop you will photograph landscapes and nude models in and among the rocks at Joshua Tree National Park. The rock formations at Joshua Tree are unlike any others, with huge boulders, caverns, cracks, depressions and rock arches offering unlimited photo opportunities. Your instructors Craig Colvin & Frederick Van Johnson will teach you techniques for photographing nude models against the backdrop of this beautiful National Park.
By design, this workshop has a low 3-to-1 photographer to model ratio for this shoot, so you will have the opportunity to work one-on-one with each model as you learn the techniques for taking powerful, and impactful outdoor nudes.
- Workshop maximum: 9 photographers
- 3-to-1 photographer to model ratio
- Daily critique sessions of the photos taken during the workshop
- FYI: This workshop involves hiking a few miles a day over rough terrain
- Accommodations for 2 nights (Friday and Saturday)
- Meals (3 meals Saturday, 1 meal Sunday)
- Transportation in and around the park during the workshop
The workshop fee does not cover transportation to/from Workshop starting location.
Day 1 – Friday, May 1st 2015
- Arrivals after dinner – the group will start arriving after dinner.
- Meet & mingle and portfolio sharing – we will congregate after dinner for a casual meet-and-greet.
Day 2 – Saturday, May 2nd 2015
- Morning Shoot at Joshua Tree National Park – Rise and shine, we'll start early by making some amazing morning light shots.
- Breakfast – Back to civilization for some food and rest
- Lunch and critique of images from the morning shoot – We'll take a look at your images and critique.
- Afternoon Shoot at Joshua Tree National Park – Back into the park (a second location) with the models
- Dinner/Drinks/Sleep – Food and conversation, maybe some libations… and definitely some sleep!
Day 3 – Sunday, May 3rd 2015
- Morning Shoot at Joshua Tree National Park – Time to put what you learned yesterday into practice!
- Breakfast – Yes, we will be up and shooting BEFORE breakfast… trust us, you'll love it.
- Critique of images from the workshop – More constructive criticism
- Depart for home – Sad goodbyes. 🙁
Frederick is the CEO of the TWiP Network, and host of the very popular podcast, This Week in Photo, also known as TWiP. It’s a show where he and a few other photographers, or other industry professionals get together each week to discuss what has been happening in the world of photography. The show is amongst the most popular, and longest running photography shows in existence.
Frederick has been shooting professionally since 1989 — that’s when he picked up his first camera. A Nikon F3. There’s something to be said about minimalism. Today, he shoots with mirror-less cameras, and “process his film” in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. So, things have changed a little. And as you might discern from his Gallery, he loves photographing women – because, in his own words, “women are the most beautiful sights on Earth”.
Craig specializes in conceptual and fine art nude photography. His current project “The Body as Art” involves using the human body to mimic shapes and curves found in nature. He loves teaching his techniques for photographing fine art nudes in both the studio and in nature.
He is a frequent guest host on the This Week in Photo (TWiP) podcast, is a Master in The Arcanum. Craig teaches numerous workshops on studio lighting, glamour, and fine art nudes. His work has been featured in numerous publications, and is currently being exhibited in multiple galleries around the U.S. You can see more of his work and learn more about Craig on his web site.