TWiP 438 – Overexposing Instagram
Instagram has been rapidly rising to, in some cases, replace it’s big brother Facebook as the defacto social media platform for many people. And with that popularity comes, as we are learning, a ton of pressure to get more likes, and views. Obviously it’s pretty young models that garner the majority of attention on the platform, but one young 18 year old model is speaking out and saying don’t believe the hype!
Also, photographic and electronics retailer B&H is under fire amidst a discrimination lawsuit from the majority of its workers. In this episode we “armchair quarterback” the situation, and discuss how we think B&H should handle it.
And lastly, National Geographic, founded in 1888 is downsizing as part of being acquired by 21st Century Fox. This turning point in the industry brings mixed reactions from the TWiP crew including a discussion about layoffs and the overall rapid evolution of the photo industry.
Links Mentioned in This Episode
- Former Instagram model edits photos to reveal the truth behind them
- B&H under fire amid allegations of poor safety conditions and discrimination
- David Hobby tweets in support of B&H workers
- Significant layoffs at National Geographic
Picks of the Week
- Derrick: Manfrotto Compact Xtreme 2in1 Monopod and Pole
- Valérie: Jay Maisel It’s not about the F Stop – Voices that Matter/Peachpit
- Eric: Photogrammetry software: Pix 4D, Drone Deploy, Agisoft Photoscan
- Frederick: Eric’s awesome new book on aerial photography
TWiP 438 is brought to you by:
Freshbooks – the simple cloud accounting solution that’s helping thousands of new entrepreneurs and small business owners save time billing, and get paid faster. Sign up for free today at FreshBooks.com and join over 5 million users running their business with ease.
Eye-fi's award winning photo apps and services automatically organize your photos and let you create beautifully rich photo collections combining images from all your devices – all without ever having to wait until you get home. Just click the shutter – any shutter and all your photos are all together, brilliantly displayed and accessible on any device instantly. Point – Shoot – Eye-Fi. Try it for free at EyeFi.com
TWiP is brought to you by Stride Health – connecting photographers and other self-employed workers, with affordable health coverage and quality health care. Get covered today! Enrollment is open until December 15th.
Connect with Our Hosts & Guests
- Valérie Jardin: Website, Twitter, Google+
- Derrick Story: Website, Twitter, Google+
- Eric Cheng: Website, Twitter, Instagram, Google+
- Frederick Van Johnson: Website, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Pinterest