TWiP 431 – Drones – For Fun and Profit
The drone, (or UAV) industry is HOT and continues to heat up. One unexpected way the space is evolving is in respect to the cameras used on these amazing tools. In the beginning, all of this drone stuff was relegated to the propeller heads that had the smarts to figure out how to attach gimbals, weight balance, and calibrate cameras, etc..
Today, companies like DJI are selling drones that can literally fly circles around even last years models… right out of the box. No erector set required. What’s even more fascinating are the cameras that are attached to these devices. Again, in the beginning the cameras you’d find on most drones were likely GoPro’s. However, DJI soon wised up and began shipping models with their OWN cameras attached.
And now DJI have upped the ante by introducing a camera model with a high resolution micro four thirds sensor that records in 4K, AND with interchangeable lenses!
But GoPro isn’t sitting by idly, as DJI moves to capture the flying camera space. As GoPro CEO Nick Goodman recently revealed — GoPro is making moves to develop its own DRONES. This is gonna get GOOD. And the beneficiaries of all of this innovation and competition are… US… the consumers.
Links Mentioned in This Episode
- DJI announces 2 new mirrorless Micro 4/3 cameras for aerial photography
- Is Canon pushing things too far with it’s 120MP camera?
- Forget Selfies! The latest holiday accessory is a pro photographer
Picks of the Week
- Nicole: ON1 Photo 10 & ON1 Labs
- Lee: Promise R2+
- Frederick: Everyday Messenger bag concludes its’ Kickstarter campaign with $4.8M in funding!
TWiP 431 is brought to you by:
Freshbooks – the simple cloud accounting solution that’s helping thousands of new entrepreneurs and small business owners save time billing, and get paid faster. Sign up for free today at FreshBooks.com and join over 5 million users running their business with ease.
TWiP is also brought to you by Lynda.com Learn what you want, when you want, with access to thousands of high quality and easy to follow video tutorials, including many about photography. Do something good for yourself in 2015 and sign up for a FREE 10 day trial by visiting lynda.com/twip.
Connect with Our Hosts & Guests
- Nicole Young: Blog, Store, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Google+
- Lee Herbet: Website, Twitter, Google+, Instagram
- Frederick Van Johnson: Website, Twitter, Google+, Instagram