Secondly, we’ll be discuss the controversy around copyright and the recent ruling against Russell Brammer where the court ruled that photos lifted from his Flickr account were could be used without compensation under the “Fair Use” law.
- F64Live.com | 10% discount Code: F64AUG10
Watermarking advice from attorney Carolyn E. Wright
Always good to put a watermark on your photos for many reasons (with copyright notice is even better).
- Eliminates possible DMCA safe harbor protection of infringer https://www.photoattorney.com/reason-post-watermarks-photos/
- DMCA claims for removal of CMI when infringing (You don’t have to have registered your photo in advance to recover under this statute.) https://www.photoattorney.com/watermarks-can-be-music-to-your-ears/
- Stopping innocent infringement defense (one way to avoid the infringer’s innocent infringement defense completely is to include a copyright notice with your photos.
- When you post your copyright notice with your images, then the infringer cannot claim that the infringement was innocent.) https://www.photoattorney.com/stopping-the-innocent-infringement-defense/
- Because it serves as a reminder that the work is protected or because the notice interferes with the use of the work when it is part of the photo.
- A court is more likely to find that the infringement was willful when a copyright notice is posted with the photo, supporting maximum award of infringement damages.
HELP SUPPORT TWIP!
+ PATREON – https://www.patreon.com/thisweekinphoto
Please help support TWiP by donating to the network on Patreon. Running a podcast network is not cheap, free or easy! It requires a ton of effort and commitment. Even the smallest donations help us keep things afloat.
+ TWIP PRO – http://www.twippro.com
If you enjoyed this video, please join our community at http://www.twippro.com – you can support TWiP while continuing the photography conversation. Join the mixer with like-minded photographers, while helping keep us on the air!
MORE ABOUT TWiP…
+ THIS WEEK IN PHOTO – https://thisweekinphoto.com
TWiP is one of the longest running and most respected photography podcast brand and networks in the world. Subscribe to our podcast, or our YouTube channel to stay entertained, inspired and educated about all things photography.
+ TWiP PRO SCHOOL – http://www.twipschool.com
Continue your learning experience at the TWiP PRO School! We've got loads of “instant access” digital courses available for you to dive into NOW. Many courses are taught by some of your favorite TWiP personalities!
+ TWiP MEETUPS – https://thisweekinphoto.com/meetups
Meet and interact with some of the TWiP hosts, get to know your fellow TWiP PRO community members, and learn how to take your photography to the next level. Everyone is welcome — all skill-levels, camera types, and photographic interests.
TWiP ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
• Twitter – http://www.twitter.com/thisweekinphoto
• Facebook Group – http://www.facebook.com/thisweekinphotography
• YouTube – http://www.youtube.com/thisweekinphoto
• Instagram – http://www.instagram.com/thisweekinphoto